There are 3 sections in the production procedure including
Nowadays growing spirulina algae is usually in outdoor circulating ponds whose weaknesses are cleanness and contamination. This is because the spirulina algae cannot be seen with bare eyes and microscope is needed to inspect the spiral algae and the contaminations. There is also a report found out that spirulina can be grown with animal excrement water or even wastewater from factory. Additionally, growing them with plain chemical fertilizers can contaminate the algae with heavy metals. Growing algae for human consumption, therefore, must use clean water certified with drinking water standards and growing nutrients in food grade level.
Our farms are concerned with the production from outdoor circulating ponds that cannot prevent the mentioned contamination. We then decide to use the green house system that is adapted from the bioreactor system from Italy which have various advantages. Apart from improving output per unit when comparing in the equal amount of water, it also controls the contamination much more effectively than outdoor circulating ponds.
Spirulina algae growing process
1. Isolation of pure culture as shown in Picture No.2
2. Growing at pond sites
Mixing essential nutrients as formula instructed into the ponds. The factors materially affecting the growing of algae include species, nutrients, ponds, sunlight temperature and level, oxygen, water, depth, water vapourization, rainwater quantity, and contamination problem.
Growing farms in closed system can control almost any growing-related factors as shown in Picture No.3 and 4.
A good harvest is gathered while the cells are healthy which can be inspected through microscope or randomly done with filter cloths in various sizes. After gathering fresh green algae in gelatin state, we then clean them with dilute acid and clean water once more.
Processing procedures nowadays can be conducted in 4 methods including
- Freeze dry
- Oven dry
- Spray dry
- Sun dry
Our farms use the oven dry method with the temperature controlled not to be over 70-celsius degree. Air velocity ovens are used here in order to maintain the quality of algae.
Capsule containing procedures are conducted in germ-free chambers that continuously spray the ozone for sterilization. Additionally, officers are instructed to wear uniforms in accordance with laboratory standards.
Capsule containing procedures
- Prepare the raw materials, equipments and tools to be ready for the production.
- Bring the crushed dry sea spirulina algae and weigh out 75 grams units in order to load into 500-milligram capsule. 150 capsules per batch.
- Bring the algae in required weight to load into the capsule by capsule containing machines.
- Pour the algae-filled capsules on special white cloths. Clean them up and count the number of capsules to be loaded into the bottle with capsule tray. Each bottle sprayed with sterilizing ozone will contain 100 capsules.
- Put silica gel to prevent moisture. Seal foil lid and put on bottle cap. Then, clean up the bottle.
- Attach the label and also seal the manufacturing date and expiry date (3-year duration) Finally, wrap the bottle with a layer of shrinking film and pack the products into the box ready to be distributed. Picture of harvest
Picture No.6 shows the quality inspection by microscope.